Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Various Locations)
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: November 23, 2021
Performs diagnostic sonographic imaging through the application
of non-ionizing, high-frequency sound-waves for patients of all
ages as directed by physicians. Maintains patient
- Performs ultrasound studies (i.e. obstetrical, GYN, abdominal,
retro peritoneal, small parts, pediatric, and vascular).
- Consults with referring physician regarding patients' medical
history and selection of appropriate procedures and equipment
required for proper diagnosis.
- Reviews charts, previous reports and requisition prior to the
- Educates patients regarding procedures, equipment and exam to
ensure understanding and cooperation.
- Ensures patients' comfort and safety during and after the
- Assists with scheduling of patients and schedules all emergency
patients for diagnostic ultrasound procedures.
- Monitors all appointments scheduled for ultrasound
- Performs preliminary research on patients when preparations are
not provided and determines priority of patients based on the daily
- Acquires, archives, transmits and prints images via PACS.
- Completes after hours transmission of images and appropriate
- Immediately reports any malfunctions to help desk and PACS
- Processes billing via RIS. Assures proper function of
ultrasound equipment and notifies clinical engineering of any
- Adequately supplies exam rooms with linen and related medical
- Assists with clinical instruction of ultrasound students and
residents and in-service education of staff members.
- Assists with orienting new employees to the equipment,
department procedures and scanning protocols.
- Demonstrates ultrasound equipment for staff and visitors.
- Potentially rotates through all diagnostic imaging modalities,
sites and/or locations.
- Assists in new investigative techniques, procedures and
- Maintains the most up to date knowledge in the field through
self-motivated education and attendance of appropriate conferences
- RDMS must be maintained and in good standing.
- If working within the Imaging Institute, performs non-invasive
vascular studies to include veins, arteries, pulse volume readings
and assist the physician during invasive studies.
- Other duties as assigned.Education:
- Graduate of an accredited school in Diagnostic Medical
Sonography and in good standing.Certifications:
- If working within the OBGYN/Women's Health Institute, must be a
Registered Diagnostic Sonographer (RDMS) through the American
Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) within one
year of hire. Certification within OB/GYN (RDMS, OB/GYN) must be
obtained within one year of hire.
- If working within the Imaging Institute, must be a Registered
Diagnostic Sonographer (RDMS) through the American Registry for
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or American Registry of
Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) RT(S) or RT(VS) upon hire. Must
have one certification within Abdominal (RDMS, AB), OB/GYN (RDMS,
OB/GYN) or Vascular (RVT, VT) through the American Registry for
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) upon hire. The other two
certifications must be obtained within twelve months of hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.Complexity of
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the
ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take
appropriate action.Work Experience:
- Minimum of one year experience as a Diagnostic Medical
Sonographer preferred.Physical Requirements:
- Requires standing and walking for extended periods of
- Must be able to lift or assist with lifting patients of varying
weight and manipulate equipment daily.Personal Protective
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective
equipment as required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system
hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal
opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment
in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of
employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and
nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for
employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for
employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's
Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions
after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made
upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to
color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual
orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or
Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law.
Information provided on this application may be shared with any
Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment
employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with
Schedule: Full Time
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Strongsville , Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Various Locations), Other , Strongsville, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!